How to Become a Comic Strip, Comic Book and Graphic Novel Artist
Tools of the Trade
As a general rule if something is organic then draw it by hand. If something is man-made then use a straight edge, guide or template. The tools below will help to get that man made feel.
31. RULER - Metal or wooden with metal edge. Do not use the plastic rulers as they will wear down.
32. T-SQUARE - A tool for drawing parallel horizontal lines on a drafting table. It is also used to draw vertical and diagonal lines in conjunction with triangles. Use metal as wooden ones loosen over time.
33. TRIANGLES - Made of clear acrylic plastic at 30°, 60°, 90° and 45° angles. The adjustable transparent triangle combines the functions of the triangle and the protractor. The upper row of numbers indicates angles from 0° to 45° to the longer base; the lower row indicates angles from 45° to 90° to the shorter base.
34. FRENCH CURVES - Plastic or metal templates having an edge with several different curves. Used to draw smooth curves of almost any desired curvature. It's best to buy a set as you can combine the curves to produce the curve you want.
35. FLEXIBLE CURVE - Square metal core wrapped with light blue wear-resistant plastic. Adjustable and retains shape without support to create your own unique curves. It has a raised inking edge to use with technical pens or brushes.
36. DRAFTING COMPASS - A tool to draw arcs or circles. One arm of a compass has a needle. The other arm contains graphite. You should buy a drafting compass which has an interchangeable point for pencil or ink. Best to buy a compass drafting kit with a large and small bow compass, as well as a divider and beam bar extension.
37. CIRCLE TEMPLATES/ ELLIPSE GUIDES - Made of plastic with openings to draw in various sizes from very small circles/ellipses to extra large circles/ellipses.
38. AMES LETTERING GUIDE - A clear plastic tool combining a rotating disk with an indexed rim for drawing guidelines for freehand lettering. Holes are spaced for three different systems. It includes direct setting for cross-hatching, grouped sets of guidelines and inch or metric measurements.
These two sites give good explanations about the Ames Lettering tool.
to be continued...
BONUS LINKS TO ART STORES!
Keep reading and +1 me. Share with your friends. Please comment. Just create!
copyright 2012 H. Simpson