Friday, February 3, 2012

Mothers. You gotta love them.

Pin up girl on bomb
Pat Parker War Nurse commission

I am an Artist


Talent is good to have  You can have talent without passion. You can become a great draftsman and have all the technical skills, but if it has no soul or passion behind it, it's not going to appeal to a lot of people. No one is going to care about the story you want to share.

And you must have an intense desire to share. Everyday you must feel the need to create without being called upon to do so by anyone. Nowadays I get paid to draw. I yearn to be that little boy again who drew in the margins of his test papers. I would draw whenever I could in school and come home and draw some more. 

I would show my drawings to my mom, who was my best critic oddly. She couldn't tell me what was wrong with my drawings. She was no artist. I don't know of any of my family line who could draw. She would tell me simply it doesn't look right. After a silence that passed with an unspoken solution, I figured it was my job to figure out why it was not right. I grew fast as an artist because of her. I would rework the drawing and keep showing it to her until she said I got it.

I still have the drive of that little boy. All creative people need that internal drive and passion to keep them going in the face of disappointments. Something to keep them going in the face of NO!. Because there will be plenty of people to line up to knock you down. You should not be the first person in line to keep yourself from achieving your dream. There will be plenty of obstacles that will pop up and you have to be able to keep going in the face of all of these obstacles.

Don't be so negative to yourself. Don't be so easily discouraged.

Keep reading and follow me. If you have found this helpful please let me know and share with other creators. Feel free to ask me questions.

Remember… Just Create!

If you are interested in further expanding your knowledge, then I recommend these books.

When you purchase a book by clicking the link below, I get a piece of the action and helps me to continue doing this blog. Support an artist today.

next - Don't Fight the Feeling

copyright 2012 H. Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment.

I always like to read your comments.