Thursday, January 16, 2014

Where do I find an artist?

How to find an artist to draw your comic book, comic strip, web comic or graphic novel.



In the real world, go to your local comic book stores, conventions, comic book clubs, and local Drink & Draw groups.

In the on-line world, you can email an artist who’s work you like and ask. It never hurts to ask. Ask them to take a look at your synopsis and see if it interests them.

Join online communities such as Google+, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. This includes the various forums such as:

Deviant Art
Penciljack Forum
Digital Webbing Forums
GUTTER ZOMBIE

Build a rapport, build your reputation. Don’t be pushy or a cry baby. What’s a cry baby?
“Wahhhh, I can’t find an artist to read my script/work with me/draw my great idea?” 

“Wahhh, artists think they are more important.” 

“Wahhhh, why won’t they do it free/for the experience/for their portfolio?”

Having a history of completing projects, publishing on-line or real world and paying the other talent (artist, letterer and colorist) goes a long way. It separates you from writers who only offer dreams and little else.

to be continued…

read next - Writer Placing Ads for Comic Book Artists - What Works?
previous - Work For Hire - Good or Bad?

Keep reading and follow me. If you have found this helpful, please let me know and share with other creators. Are the explanations clear and complete? Feel free to ask me questions.

Remember… Just Create!

If you are interested in further expanding your knowledge, then I recommend these books.

You can support this blog when you purchase a book by clicking the link below, I get a piece of the action and helps me to continue doing this blog. Support an artist today.

copyright 2014 H. Simpson


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment.

I always like to read your comments.